12. lis 2013.

Made of Stars by Kelly York

Buy the book at 
Author's 

Book summary: 
When eighteen-year-old Hunter Jackson and his half sister, Ashlin, return to their dad’s for the first winter in years, they expect everything to be just like the warmer months they’d spent there as kids. And it is—at first. But Chance, the charismatic and adventurous boy who made their summers epic, is harboring deep secrets. Secrets that are quickly spiraling into something else entirely.
The reason they've never met Chance’s parents or seen his home is becoming clearer. And what the siblings used to think of as Chance's quirks—the outrageous stories, his clinginess, his dangerous impulsiveness—are now warning signs that something is seriously off. 
Then Chance's mom turns up with a bullet to the head, and all eyes shift to Chance and his dad. Hunter and Ashlin know Chance is innocent...they just have to prove it. But how can they protect the boy they both love when they can’t trust a word Chance says?
        If I needed to describe this book using only few words it'd be full of surprises. Mostly because I had no idea what's this book about, but I have heard great things about Kelly York's writing so I wanted to get a full experience. I did accomplish that.

        For one reason or another I though that this was actually a paranormal read when I get to read the book I understood that this was actually a contemporary story in it's finest. It's not a typical boy meets girl story where everything is great, it's more than that. Hunter and Ashlin are back to their dad's and they cannot wait to meet a boy who was a big part of their childhood. Chance was a boy with whom they had great adventures as kids. Only growing up they realized that many things about Chance were mystery. They didn't know his parents nor where he lives.

        This story can basically be divided into two parts. The start when you get to meet the characters and try to connect all the details about Chance and after the accident when Chance's mother is dead and everything gets much darker. It was a huge change from one world to another and at moments I felt like some things later are happening too fast. I felt that there was more to the ending. I wish there was more.

         Besides that all other elements of this story were really good. You could feel Hunter's doubts and his insecurity, while at the same time you admired Ashlin for being strong and probably the best sister Hunter could wish for. Chance was a bit unusual at the start but later when you get to meet his life your heart starts to ache for him.

         I'm really glad that one important part of this story isn't revealed in the blurb. It really took me by surprise and made me understand this story better. It's a story about discovering yourself and finding your true self.

Rating: 4 stars.

Until the next time,
***NOTE: Copy of this book is kindly provided by the publisher Entangled Teen. Thank you! 
I'm not paid for writing this review. I do it was a lover of written word. All opinions are personal!

24 komentara:

  1. This one threw me for a loop as well, not at all what I had been expecting and even though I didn't love it, I still really enjoyed the writing style of the author and was glad that I gave her work a try.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. The writing here was amazing, really! I enjoyed it so much :)

      Izbriši
  2. Well, Tanja, this definitely looks really good
    i have been seeing this book around the blogosphere for a while
    I am intrigued
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. I wasn't really planning to read this one, I saw a few not-so-promising reviews recently and with the help of the not-so-promising synopsis, I just gave up. But I think I'll give it a go thanks to your review :)

    Fab review, hun! <33

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Maybe the ending could cause some problems to readers, but it really depends :) Hope you'll give it a try. Thanks Mel <3

      Izbriši
  4. Ooh, this book sounds intriguing. It is great when important points are left out of a blurb; I love being surprised and am always annoyed when the jacket flap gives spoilers, no matter how small. I'm glad you enjoyed Made of Stars!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I love that some things aren't mentioned in the blurb! Thanks Emily :)

      Izbriši
  5. "I though that this was actually a paranormal read" Me too! I thought that Chance was going to be a ghost or something :)
    "I wish there was more." YES! But on the other hand, this way it was more impressive. It really ended with a BANG.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yes me too!! :) I was so waiting to meet him. That too, but I just wanted a little bit more :)

      Izbriši
  6. I really enjoy York's writing and definitely want to read this. I'm so glad you enjoyed MoS, Tanja. Nice review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. I do love a mysterious read and this sounds great! Wonderful review, Tanja! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Hope you'll get a chance to read it Rachel :) Thanks :)

      Izbriši
  8. I just finished reading this book last night and wrote a super long review for it. I am so glad to know you loved it too. When I saw you say that you might give it 5 stars on GR, I knew I'd love the ending. It was perfect. But both you and Janhvi want more so for you guys, I hope there could have been more. Anyways, if this was the first Kelley York book you read and you loved her writing, I suggest you read her Hushed too. That's also not a typical boy meets girl thing. It's more than that. In fact, it's more fucked up than MoS although I loved MoS more. I agree with you about Chance, he was unusual but so special. Beautiful review, Tanja!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Somehow I agree that it's a good thing ending wasn't fully completed, but I just needed a bit more! Not much. Yes I loved her writing and I will read Hushed too. I have heard amazing things about it! :) Thanks Sarika :)

      Izbriši
  9. Yeah, I was so surprised with this! :) I hope you'll get to read this one as it really is great. Thanks Aman :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  10. I roof when a book surprises me. Those always end up being my favorite. Great review.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. And by roof I mean love. Somehow autocorrect changed love to roof lol

      Izbriši
    2. LOL that's really amazing change :D

      Izbriši
  11. Admittedly, I wasn't really interested in this at first - again, cover issues (I know, I'm picky!) - but now that all these positive reviews are pouring in, and everyone's raving about how amazing Kelly York's works are, I'm starting to get intrigued. Full of surprises, huh? I love unexpected reads!

    And wow - a contemporary in its finest. That's pretty high praise, and I love that this isn't your typical boy-meets-girl and then HEA read, too. Hmm, I think the rushed pacing would bother me a little, too. I dislike it when I read books where the pacing is off so I don't get very good world/relationship/plot development. Eh, I totally know what you mean about expecting more from the ending as well. :(

    But I'm glad you managed to connect well with the characters, and that this turned out to be such an emotional read for you. I'm still not sure if I'll give this a read, but there's denying that I'm interested! Fab review, lovely. :D

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Really? I like the cover, but this is more than just a cover. :)
      Well that fast pacing adds to the dramatic moments in the story. If you're not fan of relatively open endings then it'll bother you.
      Thanks Meg :)

      Izbriši
  12. Thanks for the insight! I'm slightly worried about the end but it sounds great otherwise. Excited to get starting on reading this book (:

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...