16. ruj 2013.

Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson

Buy the book at 
Author's 

Book summary:
High school senior Tyler Miller used to be the kind of guy who faded into the background—average student, average looks, average dysfunctional family. But since he got busted for doing graffiti on the school, and spent the summer doing outdoor work to pay for it, he stands out like you wouldn’t believe. His new physique attracts the attention of queen bee Bethany Milbury, who just so happens to be his father’s boss’s daughter, the sister of his biggest enemy—and Tyler’s secret crush. And that sets off a string of events and changes that have Tyler questioning his place in the school, in his family, and in the world.
In Twisted, the acclaimed Laurie Halse Anderson tackles a very controversial subject: what it means to be a man today. Fans and new readers alike will be captured by Tyler’s pitch perfect, funny voice, the surprising narrative arc, and the thoughtful moral dilemmas that are at the heart of all of the author’s award-winning, widely read work.
          And here I though that my high school sucked, boy. After reading any of YA book that deals with high school students I really can't help but wonder if is it like this in real life - cheerleaders and football players owning the school and stuff. It's sounds surreal to me, but different continents, different cultures will do that. Anyhow I wouldn't want to be part of Tyler's high school.

           Laurie Halse Anderson is one of the authors who won't tell you a story about first and sweet teen loves nor did she try to create perfect happily ever endings. Not, instead she will give you a real story. One that you can play in your head and one that deals with real nowadays issues. So this is story about Tyler, a guy who was average aka invisible. Being sick of that position he decides to change things and do something big that would bring him on the top of high school hierarchy. And he does, only the result is not the one he expected. After getting busted his reputation is now different. As punishment for his actions he spend the whole summer doing outdoor work and that doesn't and that does wonder for his physique. Now he appears to be a bad boy with muscles and in reality he is just trying to get his crush to like him.

           Tyler has a lot of issues on his backs - his father doesn't seem to forgive him his crime and now he is on thin ice. Things in his family haven't been good in a while and they only get worse plus he has a lot of AP subjects to ace. Most of the time it only makes him give up and all he wanted was to be more popular.

           I can say that Laurie did an amazing job with Tyler's character. Not only is he realistic but at the same time we have a really great picture of a boy trying to survive puberty.  At the same time he really is a sweetheart. He tries to be a good brother, son and friend but that one mistake makes downgraded him in every way.

          With Twisted Laurie Halse Anderson brings a realistic story about becoming a man and all that in Tyler's witty, funny and at times really emotional voice.

Rating: 5 stars.

Until the next time,


Broj komentara: 40:

  1. I haven't read anything by Anderson except Speak, but I clearly need to go through her backlog. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, though it does seem like high school is overly vicious at times with all the cliques portrayed in these books. Still, wonderful review, Tanja!(:

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. It seems worse than prison to me xD I hope you'll get to read her books. Thanks Keertana :)

      Izbriši
  2. Ooh, I am really interested in this one- my high school is currently really suckish so I think I'll be able to relate to this one well.

    Great review, Tanja! <33

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Sorry to hear that. I hope it gets better. Thanks Melanie :)

      Izbriši
  3. I sometimes wonder the same thing when I read YA contemps in a high school setting, probably because my high school experience was nothing how alot of them portray it. Anyway, this sounds really amazing and ill have to add it to my TBR. Great review.


    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yeah it sounds really hellish to me. I hope you'll get to read it soon. Thanks :)

      Izbriši
  4. Tyler's character sounds interesting, and yeah I would not want to attend high school today. So glad you enjoyed this one!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. He really is, just typical boy with all the flaws. Thanks :)

      Izbriši
  5. I don't remember high school being like this either and I would hate to think it really is this way, it makes me sad and worried for my children!!

    I am so glad you loved this. Great review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I hope they'll have great experiences from high school :) Thanks :)

      Izbriši
  6. I like the sound of Tyler, and this book has been on my wishlist for quite some time now

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. I have yet to read anything by Laurie Halse Anderson, how completely absurd is that Tanja? I can hardly call myself a lover of books or a blogger without having read her! My high school was pretty tame and didn't have any of the people like Tyler's has (for which I'm extremely thankful), but I'm always fascinated to read depictions of schools that are so different from what mine was. Must read this!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I think you should read any of her works :) You'll like them :) Neither did I (thankfully). I hope you'll enjoy it :))

      Izbriši
  8. I haven't read this Laurie Halse Anderson book. Speak and Wintergirls by her are fantastic and this one sounds the same way. I also can't understand the high schools in YA. High school was never cliques and mean girls. There wasn't sports in my HS so that makes sense I guess. Tyler sounds like someone I can relate to. The idea that this doesn't have a happy ending worries me but if this is by Anderson I trust her.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I have seen your review for Speak and I have it on my list so hopefully I'll get to read it soon. :) Yeah there wasn't sport in my HS either so I guess it makes difference :) I didn't say it didn't have a happy ending it just isn't like the fairy tale one ;)

      Izbriši
  9. I love the cover of this book, Tanja!
    It something I would like to read. I like that the author made this book realistic. I'm going to be adding this to my TBR!
    Great review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I really hope you'll get to read it soon. I'm actually not a huge fan of the cover, but well what's inside matters ;)

      Izbriši
  10. I've been eyeing this book for quite some time. I've heard the author is awesome and the only book I've read by her is Speak which I thought was really good. Great review!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I think you'll enjoy it and therefore you should read it ;) Thanks :)

      Izbriši
  11. I totally feel the same way you do about high school! I mean, I know there are cliques everywhere and that cheerleaders are more often than not at the top of the social ladder, but I've always wondered if the high school life we see in books or movies have been dramatized.

    I really like how TWISTED sounds: " Laurie Halse Anderson is one of the authors who won't tell you a story about first and sweet teen loves nor did she try to create perfect happily ever endings. Not, instead she will give you a real story." - Honesty is the best policy. Even for books. ;) I dislike it when an author tries to mask things from their readers (though admittedly, I've never come across many of those kinds of books) because it makes everything seem so fake and less impactful than the story could have been.

    And Tyler! He sounds more than three-dimensional. He sounds like an actual human who could be alive, living in this world right now. That's the mark of a skilled author, IMO. :) Great review, Tanja! I hadn't heard of this book before your review, but now I'll go and check it out on GR.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I think it was! I mean there for sure is drama, plenty of it but I think that this is overmuch.
      Yes honesty is always a go! ;) Me neither that's why I love it when the things are real :)
      He really is and he could be anywhere. Thanks :) I hope you'll enjoy it :)

      Izbriši
  12. I've only read Speak by her and I liked it a lot. I think that schools all over are different. It seems like there's this idea that all schools in the US are this certain way but personally in my school the cheerleaders weren't all snotty or even the most popular girls in school. The football players were mostly the 'hicks' (the rural cowboys, or farm boys and they were super mean) and not many people liked them at all. So my opinion is that the books and movies make things seem a certain way when it's not really that way. Maybe some schools, but certainly not all of them. I went to three different high schools and none of them I attended were like that.
    Anyway, this book sounds amazing! I'm going to have to make sure I watch for it at the used book store!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yeah I guess it's all generalized. Same as people from other parts of the world are presented or everyday habits, etc. I hope you'll get to read this book then. :))

      Izbriši
  13. I've always heard amazing things about Halse Anderson's books, but have only watched a movie based on Speak. It seems she does a brilliant job at portraying troubled teens, and I love that this book is geared towards teen boys.
    Great review, Tanja!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Oh yes she really knows how to create believable characters :) I hope you'll get to read this. Thanks :)

      Izbriši
  14. I always wonder about high school jocks owning schools and stuff, too--but maybe it's just that I didn't care about that, hah, so I was oblivious to the power plays going on. ;)

    I still haven't read this author yet, Tanja, but you make a pretty persuasive case for why I should.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yes it's like a mystery. I mean almost all media show that picture so it's like a myth.
      I really hope you'll get to read it ;) Thanks Wendy :)

      Izbriši
  15. I read this one when I was really young, and I absolutely loved it. I'm so glad it resonated with you! Anderson really did capture the youth of a boy so well with Tyler. I remember being so wrapped up in his life and feeling what he did.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I totally agree! I'm so happy to hear that you loved it :)

      Izbriši
  16. I really liked this one by the author. When I saw her speak awhile ago she talked about her inspiration and such and it was really moving. Glad you enjoyed the story. :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  17. I've read Speak and Wintergirls by this author, and I loved both. I think it would be interesting to read something by her with a male p.o.v. since she normally focuses on girls. Glad you loved this one!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. I need to read these :) She did a great job. Thanks :)

      Izbriši
  18. You are so right about Laurie writing really emotionally taxing books xD She has such a unique style and this book sounds no different. I will have to check this out!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yes she really has a unique style! :) I hope you'll enjoy it :)

      Izbriši
  19. I like the cover of this one and it sounds good. Boy, I had no idea this would be a 5 star book, but I'm glad it is for you. I'll have to check it out. Awesome review, Tanja!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. It was a really great read :) I hope you'll get to read it. Thanks Sarika :)

      Izbriši
  20. Good point, Tanja. Whenever I read YA books with a high school setting, I always wonder too whether or not the scenes where the pretty girls and jocks rule the school are a bit exaggerated, but yes, I wouldn't want to be a part of those high schools either.

    Tyler seems like such an amazing character I can't wait to read more about him.

    Great review, Tanja. I can't wait to read more of your posts! :)

    Lyra @ Defiantly Deviant

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Yeah it seems like we all lived is some different places and went through some different high schools :) I'm glad you like it :)
      Thanks for following Lyra :)

      Izbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...